The Life of a Canadian Gooner

Oh to be a Gooner, especially in a country where football means something completely different. Yes I’m talking about the struggles of being an Arsenal fan from across the Atlantic, in my native Canada. The time difference, lack of media coverage and the virtually unknown existence of the club make it difficult to follow my favourite club.


Before I can dive into to any other difficulties about following Arsenal, I should state that I live in an area 5 hours behind London. That means waking up early to watch matches on the weekend and having to watch matches during school hours for weekday fixtures. While fans in England can watch the matches while they come home from work, I’m forced to set my alarm just to make sure I don’t miss them. Imagine how I’ll feel during the World Cup in Russia.

Another problem with following Arsenal is the lack of exposure from media companies. Only 4 stations play matches, which normally means the most popular teams are shown so Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Barca, Real, Bayern. Yes as the years go on, more and more matches seem to be shown on TV, and now I can catch up to 75% of matches, which is pretty good. Whenever that doesn’t happen I am forced to watch from my 17 inch laptop screen and hope the connection doesn’t cut out. It’s not like I mind or anything, except when I can’t understand the match commentary…

I guess the basically unknown reputation of Arsenal in Canada means I am a rarer breed of Canadian football fan, but it can be annoying at times; such as wanting to purchase Arsenal apparel. Only one store I’ve been into sells it and they don’t even offer customization on anything. Or the fact that I never hear about the club on the news, and the sports news only plays the occasional highlight is a bit sad. That’s why I want Canadians to learn more about the club to make it more popular.


Really I shouldn’t complain because at the end of the day I can still watch the club, it’s just a bit difficult. Either way, I would and will still continue to make sure that I watch as many games as I can, simply because I am a Gooner, and Gooners do whatever they can to support their club. 

@ZachAFC

This content was produced exclusively for ZachAFC.blogspot.com and can be reproduced with attribution, please.